Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Unanswered Questions

I shared with my students a “Motivational Friday” last week entitled “Questions I Want Answered.” The questions started worldly. For example, Scientists say the universe is expanding, where is it going? And, How can a country allow a Hitler, Stalin, or a Pol Pott brainwash them? The questions narrowed to more specific, personal inquiries such as Why do I do what I do everyday? What difference can I make? And, What is my role in society?

I am certain scholars can give me reasoned answers for the first set of questions, yet the more personal questions can only be answered from within. In relation, I can ask one type of question about education that can be specifically answered, but the ones I struggle with the most are internal:

1. With the talents I’ve been blessed with, am I in right profession?

2. With “No Child Left Behind” what do I do with the students who choose to be left behind?

3. At what point do I say, "It's just a job" and protect myself from the emotionally attachment of student success/failure?

4. Do I put too much blame on myself?

5. Why does one disappointment impact my mood more than one success?

The most recent question I’ve battled derives from my students’ consistent need for entertainment. I know that learning may be difficult for my students, tedious at times, and perhaps hurt. Not all concepts come easily and too many of my students give up when learning becomes more like a chore than outside stimuli they are accustomed to finding in video games and computers. As far as I can tell, the majority of my students have a “if it’s not fun then it’s not worth my while” attitude when it comes to learning.

The questions that I am battling today are: Is my role as a teacher to entertain so that my students learn new concepts? Or do I teach students that learning is a necessity and self-actualization is actually the reward and, therefore, the entertainment. Too often it appears that when I fall short in entertaining, the cell phones come out and texting commences.

I understand my students’ need for entertainment, but somehow I must convince them that unless we define learning more than just in-the-moment entertainment, then they will wither as they have trusted the feeling of learning and not the act of learning.

I don’t know how to achieve this right now. If I did, I’d currently have students in my classroom eager to get help; instead I sit typing in a listless classroom materializing my own educational thoughts. I’m learning teaching is not easy and not a feeling I wish upon anyone. Though the feeling of success is euphoric, the feeling of failing to show the value of education to all my students is debilitating. But I don’t cling to the feeling, I cling to the act, and with that I will continue to pursue my students and meet them in their current state of seeking entertainment and carry them into a land where active learning becomes entertaining.

And so I do not give up hope.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment