I leave for school around 6:00 a.m. On the way I pass a small bank, corporate IBM buildings, law offices, gas stations, and, of course, the local Starbucks. At such an early hour, I cannot help but wonder what it would be like to work for one of these dark places I drive past. “So many jobs,” I think, “And I’m still in high school.”
As I enter my classroom, however, I’m quickly reminded of what makes my job great. As the day goes by, these reminders continue to come, continue to refresh me, and continue to inspiring me.
What makes my job great is I have autonomy. My approach is different than the teacher’s down the hall, so am I. Only I know how my students receive their material and only I am know how to make adjustments based on their progress. This autonomy keeps me monitoring progress, keeps me eager to try new methods, and keeps me creative. There is only one way for surgeon to perform an operation, but there are a million ways to teach students math, and I can choose any way I want.
What makes my job great is I get to work with others who share a common goal. Though our approaches differ, in the end each of us teaches to see students recognize their abilities and travel down the road to actualization. It isn’t always easy, but I’m never alone.
I have the most loyal customers of any industry. Unlike other vocations, I work with the same clients five days a week. Our students spend more time with us than they do with their parents. I am more than a math instructor, I am a friend, mentor, motivator, and developer of human beings; I am a teacher.
What makes my job great is I know the beginning and I know the end. I know in the beginning I’ll have a fresh group of students, raw, yet full of talent. I know I will run an emotional, nine month long gauntlet that is the teaching year. And I know that in the end, I’ll have watered down eyes as I bid farewell to a fifty close friends that started as fifty new students.
What makes my job great is my students are funny. They walk a fine line between having fun and learning; and I’m happy to keep it that way.
What makes my job great is that I’m finishing this posting while talking with four of my students during their lunch period. Since they came specifically for “a chat,” I need say goodbye, this is, after all, what I teach for. But, I promise to expand on these great aspects of our job later. Until then, I wish you good conversations with your students as well. I love this part of our job.
No comments:
Post a Comment