A colleague of mine proposed this question, “What is more important in teaching today…engaging and inspiring students or accountability for what they have learned?” I sat for a moment pondering the question and then responded, “Depends who you ask.”
Later contemplating my answer I decided there was a better response. You see, the question did not ask what the world, government, or family believes is more important; the question asks what do I see as more important. To that comes an easy answer.
Throughout the previous postings I have battled with motivation and understanding why I teach. I have yet to conclude I teach because I love math, nor have I concluded it is the pay, prestige, or recognition that comes with the job. Furthermore, the struggles mentioned have not been about math but rather reclaiming hearts and minds.
My answer, therefore, is simple; engaging and inspiring students is far more important than any other aspect of education...that is what makes my job so difficult.
With well over 100 students entering and leaving my classroom each week, I am destined to have difficulties. Students walk into class with all sorts of troubles; troubles at home, troubles in other classes, troubles with relationships, troubles with sports, troubles with image, troubles with troubles, troubles, troubles, troubles. With so much going on do they really care about math?
And thus the motivation/engaging game begins. We cannot teach our students until they are inspired to learn. Just how do we motivate? Before answering that question we must understand just what we offer through our motivation. We offer our students the opportunity to start new in our class, leave the troubles at the door, and welcome them into a sanctuary of respect. We offer our students renewed trust in ones abilities. We offer our students friendship that cares about self-actualization. We offer hope.
Knowing our offering allows us to offer ourselves to our students. Here are just a few ways that I find great joy in motivating my students:
1. Start each class with the desire to know my students. I ask them, “Did anyone have anything cool happen to you or do anything cool since last class?” In asking this question I get to know student hobbies, sport successes, what movies they watched…it’s incredible what students share.
2. Give high fives and handshakes to students who answer questions correctly.
3. Give high fives and handshakes to students who attempt to answer questions.
4. Email home to students who are doing well.
5. Smile, laugh, joke, play, relax, and enjoy diverse student personalities.
6. Talk to students outside of the classroom, always using their first name.
7.When one-on-one, praise a student for either having a great grade or question poor performance of those that could achieve a higher grade. Always tell them they are capable of greatness but it takes work.
8. Smile. I always act like I’m having fun, even when I’m not.
9. Thank students for participating and for a great day of class. Send them out the door saying I look forward to seeing them again.
10. My favorite: I spend the last ten minutes of Friday’s class speaking about a topic far greater than math. I call this “Motivational Friday.” Ranging from PowerPoints to inspirational videos, my students get to think of something greater than themselves, something more important than what happens only at my high school, something that paints the picture that life does not revolve around them. Motivational Friday engages students and allows them to understand why we are at school and what their resulting roles are as school citizens, community citizens, and a world citizen.
Below is a link to a Motivational Friday that I shared with my students last week, “Things That Bring Me Joy.” Within I share my beliefs in finding joy not in materialistic items but rather from expressing and developing our own uniqueness.
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bwqa0EmmC8WRNmMyYmU1YmEtYTYyNy00N2JhLWJlMWItZDZiOTJkOTllY2Uy&hl=en
What motivational tools do you use to reach your students? In the end, can an uninspired child begin to learn content material? Motivating the unmotivated is the biggest challenge we face, but if achieved will reap rewards far greater than we will ever know.
No comments:
Post a Comment