Tuesday, September 14, 2010

It's not my fault, but I'll try to fix it

One month into the school year and I’m starting to piece together my student puzzle. It was easy for me to believe, and with great intention may I add, every student who passed through my door was eager to learn, eager to advance their academic knowledge, eager to study, and eager to work for good grades. Though now I understand my foolish preconceptions, I was eager to give my students a fresh start, a chance in school that many freshmen or transfer students have not seen before.

I’ve come to note that my students’ apparent eagerness is to talk with peers and celebrate together when the abrasive tone whistles through the hall dismissing class. Likewise, my eagerness changed from discovering greatness in every student to finding ways to captivate their attention long enough to teach information that will be tested upon later.

I imagined 160 students coming into class, pencils ready and sponge-like minds, taking responsibility to learn; after all, they are high school students. Sadly, the majority do not reflect any fervor to learn. Unless I failed to say or do something the first day of school, my students came into my classroom with little intrinsic motivation and that is not my fault.

If it’s not my fault, then where am I to place blame? Family structure? Video games, fast food, empty dinner tables, divorce, lack of discipline, a culture of entitlement? What about our education system?

Pass the test right? I recently spoke with an elementary school teacher (2nd grade) who informed me the repeated misbehaviorers are boys…but who is to blame them? Our system inhibits individual exploratory learning. “Sit still” we say, “Stop hitting him” “Stop touching her” “Stop….stop….stop….” Even by the time they are in 2nd grade, children face eight hours of adult structure. There are too many students, too much material to cover, and too little flexibility allowed to divert from curriculum. Consequently, this teacher says, even second graders are at risk of losing their imaginative minds.

Should we then blame our early childhood educators? Of course not. They too face classes so large with such little funding and prodigious achievement gaps that only through the existing structure can they begin teaching the unmotivated; any other method would result in dropping those who already are on their way to greatness.

Ultimately we blame the system, blame the dearth of importance placed on education, blame our government for demanding so much and giving so little, blame the failure of recognition that keeps the good ones around (it sure isn’t the money), blame the parents who blame us, blame intangible success being measured by a tangible test, blame overcrowded classrooms, blame other teachers…

In the end, blaming gets us nowhere; as fire feeds fire, so does blaming feed our frustration. We all can agree a complete system overhaul is necessary but will not happen in the near future. However, we each can have a classroom overhaul where we remember the true importance of our offering. “It’s not my fault, but I’ll try to fix it” can be our mantra in the classroom; we get to restore eagerness, we get to fix missing motivation. We get to offer a chance for our students to be successful. What we do is far more important than end results; we bring current meaning and a reason for our students to walk through the classroom door. Fear not the test but do fear lack of eagerness. It’s not your fault it’s gone, but somehow we need to bring it back.

Therefore, I implore you to teach in such a way to reach the child, and not the system’s measure of tangible success. In doing so, tangible success will come not through pushing material but through pushing through the walls of lost students. How do we do this? There is not a magic solution, no one way of teaching that reaches all. Each of us is gifted in our own unique way to reach students; we have no choice but to express our own uniqueness in the classroom. Our students’ futures hinge upon our willingness to push past the blame and into a world of understanding, a world of motivating, and a world of giving; that is, after all, why we teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment